Unschool was the way human children, like their mammal cousins, learned for millenia. It was not called "unschooling" because the institution of forced education had never been forced upon children until very recently in human history. What is now seen as a new philosophy is not new at all; it is a deliberate attempt to return to nature;s intent, to return children to their natural, organic state of innate passion. ~Laurie A. Couture


Tuesday, August 9, 2011

kindergarten - day 1

I must admit I was kind of worried that the kids wouldn't be interested in anything I wanted them to do. But boy was I wrong!  After they woke up and had breakfast, I asked what he wanted to learn about.  His answer:  whales.  We played Hungry Whales (I threw cottonball fish on the floor and they raced to see who got the most, then Cory counted them).  We looked at pictures and videos about whales, read a couple pages of Eric Carle's Animals Animals, and whales quickly turned into all sea life.

After lunch, the lessons continued with watching Disneynature's Oceans and a couple shark week programs on National Geographic Wild.  And then, they got to fingerpaint..



And Cory really enjoyed puzzles, we have an ABC one and a numbers one.  I was quite surprised actually, I never knew he liked them, he usually just throws the pieces everywhere.
He actually named most of the letters when putting them in place!



And it only took him about 15 minutes to figure out how to write his name:

(pic coming once I can get photobucket to upload it)

No comments:

Post a Comment