Unschool was the way human children, like their mammal cousins, learned for millenia. It was not called "unschooling" because the institution of forced education had never been forced upon children until very recently in human history. What is now seen as a new philosophy is not new at all; it is a deliberate attempt to return to nature;s intent, to return children to their natural, organic state of innate passion. ~Laurie A. Couture


Thursday, August 11, 2011

Day 4: Free Day

Day 2 & 3 passed by pretty smoothly with lots of learning and questions i never thought I would be answering to a 4.5 year old, like "Mama, why is a whale a mammal if it swims like a fish?"  "Mama, why do carnivores only eat meat? Are we carnivores?"  I LOVE IT!!!!

Yesterday we had fun with clay, Cory made a dinosaur:


We did some fun math activities that I passed off as games and with each pice of art he drew I showed him how to write the letters to the names of his animals. "cow" ended up looking like "cowwww" (one big zigzag line), but considering he just started trying to write on Monday, I couldn't be happier.

He did instigate a lesson on the weather this morning, we talked about the water cycle and ways to use less water. 

I am very excited that a couple of fellow homeschoolers have some curriculum (one is Calvert K and I don't remember the other one) they are no longer using that they are sending my way. Not sure if I will follow it to the T, but it will be good reference, as is the Shelby county K curriculum listed on the school systems website...alot to learn might I add.

Overall, 4 days in, he is wanting to learn more everyday, and showing the interest and asking the questions.  I have not had to "force" him at all.  If he is not interested, it can wait.

Did some checking today and found the school we will definitely be registering with next fall - Homelife Academy.  It's cheap, it's legal and it doesn't butt in my curriculum.  Score.

Speaking of curriculum, here's some pics of our current setup (which I might add will change as needed):
This notebook is amazing!  It is mail order and has it broken down into categories - mammals, fish, birds, invertibrates, conservation and a couple others.  The kids love it and will look through it on their own and make up stories about the animals.  His favorite seems to be big cats, orcas and sharks.  Disneynature Oceans and Earth are also on the favorites list.



We are currently taking donations of manipulatives - magnets, legos, playdough/modeling clay, anything for arts and crafts projects and math games.  Please email me at hipvegmama@yahoo.com if you would like to donate.

No comments:

Post a Comment